Planning in East Hampshire


1. Why do we have to take so many houses?

We have to build many more homes to house our growing population. We also have to build houses to enable first time buyers to get a foot on the ladder, to enable key workers to live close to their place of work, to house the elderly, and to sustain our communities.

2. What is the Joint Core Strategy – JCS?

The JCS is the strategy for development of East Hampshire, until 2028. It was made jointly with the South Downs National Park Authority [SDNPA] who are responsible for some of the land within the district. The JCS is Part 1 of the Local Plan. It contains the housing numbers required to be built for towns and villages within the district up to 2028. 10,060 new homes need to be built in East Hants. Part 2 of the Local Plan will specify which sites are best to meet this target.

3. Who decided the housing numbers for each area?

Officers from EHDC and SDNPA, together with your district councillors, used government statistics and data from across the district to set the target and its geographical distribution. Numbers were evidence– based, and were scrutinised by the Government Inspector at the Joint Core Strategy Examination.

4. Why do we have to have so many in our village/town?

If your village or town is close or adjacent to a good transport network and/or has facilities such as shops, schools, doctors’ surgeries or has the space in which to provide them then that is considered a sustainable location for development.

5. Why are so many developers offering sites in this area?

Due to the need for extra housing, developers are acquiring a lot of land. Because our Joint Core Strategy has not yet been approved, and because we do not have our Allocation (Local Plan Part2) in position, nor a five year housing landsupply, developers are taking the opportunity to put in applications quickly, to seek permission before we can refuse them on the grounds of having planned the allocation for each area.
For example – The allocation for a town is 300 homes before 2028. If we had our plans in place and a five year housing land supply, once 300 new homes had been granted permission, we could then refuse further applications.

6. Does this mean that no more houses would be built after the required number had been given permission?

Not necessarily. If a developer could prove that a site was sustainable then permission might be given. If permission is refused, a developer can always appeal, and the original decision could be overturned, and permission given.

7. What is a five-year housing land supply?

At any one time we must have granted enough permissions or formally allocated enough land to provide five years’ worth of housing out of the total 10,060 required. Sites on the SHLAA list (See Question 9) do not count towards this total.

8. Who decides the Planning Applications?

Planning applications within the East Hampshire District are decided by the EHDC Planning Committee or by officers under delegated powers. EHDC also decides planning applications on behalf of the SDNPA, unless they are called in by the Park to be determined.uestions answered

9. What is a SHLAA Site?

The council has to produce a list of potential housing sites – this is the Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessment (SHLAA). A SHLAA site is a piece of land which has been put forward by the owner of that land, to be considered for future development.

10. Will it be developed?

Not necessarily. Sites for the Local Plan Part 2 are chosen from the SHLAA. If a site is selected then planning permission should be granted. However, until that process is completed being a SHLAA site has little relevance to whether permission is granted.

11. I have heard about developers’ contributions. What are they?

Developers’ contributions are payments made by the developer, to provide infrastructure required to make the development acceptable. Developers’ contributions must be directly related to the development; and fairly and reasonably related in scale and kind to the development. The main contributions that developers make are for affordable housing, transport improvements, open space, community facilities and nature conservation. The contributions are negotiated between the developer and the district council as part of the planning application process. They are calculated on the number of properties being built.

12. Can we say what we would like to be provided from developers’ contributions?

The majority of contributions relate directly to infrastructure required by the development. Local input into what might be needed is essential for the determination of planning applications. You can make your wishes known either direct to the district council, through your community groups and your district councillor.

13. What is affordable housing?

Affordable housing is housing which is built to provide homes for those who cannot afford the full price of a property, or rental. It can sometimes be shared ownership, or is provided for rental through a housing association, such as Radian.

14. Do all developments have affordable housing?

EHDC would like up to 40% affordable housing on each development, depending upon the size of the site. If it is not capable of being provided, then extra developers’ contributions are sought, in lieu. Lack of provision of affordable housing can be taken as one reason for refusal, when a planning permission is applied for.

15. Why can’t EHDC just stop all these developments?

EHDC cannot stop all the developments because at the moment, we do not have a Local Plan (Part 1 and 2) in place. Please see Question 5 above.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *